Friday, July 15, 2011

Do I still need to cycle my tank if I already have snails?

I have been reading about cycling freshwater tanks and have read a lot of stuff I don't understand. I've even watched youtube videos to try to make heads or tails of what I had read. I kind of get it now but now I have a new question. All the things I read and watched said that eventually you should add hardy fish to start the nitrate and ammonia cycling. Wouldn't having snails also start this process? I mean they have bodily functions too. I have had my tank with snails for two weeks. I am hoping to add fish soon but not until the tank is prepared. I understand the basics of cycling and won't need explanations on cycling and carrying capacity. I have a 5 gallon just to let you know what I'm dealing with. I also have two mystery snails. So technically haven't I unknowingly already started if not completed the cycling? I mean don't they count as quote unquote "Hardy Fish"? I'm just trying to clear up some stuff so I can get on to adding my new fish. Thanks for your time in at least reading this question and have an awesome day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment