Friday, July 15, 2011

What do you think of the beginning of my story?

I completely disagree about giving your age. Writing changes with time. I wanted to tell you that you have an enormous writing talent. I am 55 years old, yet your story kept my attention. It made me wish I could read more of it. I do not agree with all criticisms in the one letter. That person should be reading your story on YOUR level. I knew the moment I read it, that you have a very promising future. My criticism would be your use of the word "terror" so soon in your story. Terror is a very strong word. I thought she was sitting in a tree to escape some horrible, menacing creature on the ground. If she is terrified that she will never escape her life of poverty and drudgery, that word could be used much later... perhaps as a response to a nightmare. I believe I am well-qualified to critique your story. You'd be surprised... Please don't stop. Be very careful about putting your writing on here and asking opinions. We writers are very sensitive, and the other letter can crush the life out of a young and promising writer. I know from whence I speak. I am forced to write to you from my phone, or I would say more. For your age, you have displayed a brilliant ability to write. Congratulations and keep at it. Pay close attention in your English classes. You are going to get better and better. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment